Translate

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Operation: Procrastination

"If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would ever get done."-Someone I can't recall right now

Actually I'm not even sure if that's a saying. If it isn't it should be. End of story.

So, I said farewell to my family in Oregon yesterday and headed home to Texas. My travel experience this time wasn't that bad. Definitely wasn't my best airport experience, but I've had worse. To start off my trip I'm pretty sure I was poisoned by unknown fumes in my brothers truck (seriously I got light headed and a little dizzy, he laughed) Then I got to the airport and the wonderful lady checking me in informed me my flight was delayed in a less than caring tone. Some people should really thank my mother for teaching me "If you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all"

So what do you do when you're 2 hours early for a domestic flight? I walked over to the Starbucks so I could hook up to the wifi and kill some time with pinterest and my chess app. (I've won twice..the computer is good, real good.) As I got there and sat down I realized I left my plane ticket at the check in counter. It wasn't all that surprising because that's something I would do. I took a second lap around the airport and picked up my ticket but this time I just went through security.

Once I got my ticket and I went through Mr.TSA without a hassel I found a seat next to my gate. There I proceeded to play with my phone and its case for an hour. I'm easily entertained, its actually a little scary. After that became boring I set my phone to German and tried to navigate it. That was interesting and helped pass more time. Finally after my flights second delay time arrived (yes, there was a delay on top of the first delay) I was able to get on my plane! whoop! hallelujah! yahtzee!

I have an easy time flying, the secret is to just plug in and sleep. Ignore the crying babies and the gabby old ladies. If I was forced to choose between the two I would take the crying babies. No ma'am, I don't want to hear about your cousins, nieces, best friends, fiance that is a competitive knitter and made you those gloves last christmas. I'm not mean, I just don't find a story like that, all that interesting. (Yes, I am aware that it is sometimes hard to tell that I actually enjoy the company of people.) All in all though I have to say I LOVED seeing my family and friends before I run away to Germany and never come back (just kidding mama I'm coming home..maybe) =] & All the travel advice I got was helpful and reminded me just how much I had, well have, to do. For starters here is a bullet friendly list. BEFORE YOU GO:
  • Copy Passport & other documents
  • Inform banks of travel plans
  • Check into your flight online
  • Keep in touch with your wonderful host family
  • Began cleaning your room
  • Get distracted by facebook and other social media sites :)
  • Start cleaning again
  • Discover clothes/things you forgot you had in you room
  • Wash all the clothes and then throw them on your bed
  • Just look at them for awhile....
  • And then start packing

Here is a mid way point where I had some clothes washed and packed, some are still dirty, and the rest is random stuff I found from all over my room. Lets play a game.
I Spy:
1. A mini leatherman
2. Sunglasses
3. two Christmas tree ornaments
4. crocheted ear warmer
5. Leopard onesie
6. Starbucks gift card
7. socks that may or may not be clean...

Okay, I know I don't have that much stuff. However, every time I pack I feel bad for those who do have a lot of clothes. I've managed to separate my clothes into halves. Half of it I'm leaving for my sister to claim while I am away. The other half I'm taking with me because I think I might wear it, I might not, but I might...but in the off chance that I don't I'll just get rid of it somewhere in Europe.

My single suitcase for an entire year is a bit impressive. Its not a GIANT bag (thats cheating) but it does fit all of my clothes...Prepare for another list. duunnn duunnn duuuu....THE PACKING LIST

  • Undergarments ie. underwear, bra, sports bra, tanks, socks, spandex
  • Sleep wear (I'm a proud owner of onesies..yes multiple)
  • Randoms... Swimsuit, scarves, beenies, gloves, belts
  • Jeans, shorts, skirts
  • T-shirts, long sleeve, sweaters
  • workout clothes ie. shorts, yoga's, leggings, tanks, and other tops
  • Jackets and Coats
That covers my clothing list. I also brought sneakers, sperry's, a wedge, and boots. AND in this same suitcase I have my hygenic things. Here is the full and almost ready to go bag! I just need to add an extra duffle for my trip home next winter. I 100% anticipate bringing home more than I take over there.

In addition to this I will have my carry on and purse. My purse contains a cell phone&charger, wallet, passport, camera&charger, a few cosmetics (not tryin' to look like I walked out of Left4Dead), headphones, ipod, sunglasses, my retainer (I dont need to wear it anymore but have an irrational fear that if I dont my teeth will shift), a toothbrush (I really really like brushing my teeth..its not weird), and my converter/adaptor.

My carry on, which is a back pack, will have: my planner, address book, laptop&charger, notebook, and gifts for my host family (Because I'm basically Santa) so its actually pretty empty.

So recap.. Operation: Procrastination
Wait until the day before I depart for a full year on an international flight to prepare.
 SUCCESS

Next update will include my flight out of Houston, customs, my layover in Istanbul, more customs, my arrival in Germany, even more customs, and meeting my host family in person!

Follow me on Twitter&Instagram for real time accidents and failed translations =]
Twitter @Rkrupsky Instagram @Krup3

No comments:

Post a Comment