Translate

Monday, January 13, 2014

Turkey to Hamburger?!

Hallo Hamburg!

My arrival to Germany was wonderful! I spent my first two days with my host family seeing the city and just getting a feel for the place. On my first day I simply found my new home, and the major work/school buildings. Which was enough for one day because streets in Germany are NOTHING like the US. I don't think a street goes straight for more that 5 blocks. Plus, in Hamburg there is NO shortage of bridges. Bridges are to Hamburg as Trees are to the Pacific North West. My Second day I saw the fisch harbour, the Reeperbahn, and the Rathaus. Simply put; The fish harbor which is like many other large harbors, and the Rathaus, which is City Hall, and one place I will write its on post about in the future..The Reeperbahn aka Red Light District. haha.

My third day was much more business less relaxing. I woke up and finally unpacked. After breakfast (which is a main point to the German day) I became a Hamburg resident, got my Au Pair work permit, got my U bahn/S bahn/Bus/and train pass, found out how to open a bank, and had dinner with some of my host families close friends at a lovely Italian place. Since most of my early days I was too distracted to bring a camera I will post later with more photos. As for now lets talk about what I noticed about Germany.

To begin, bakery's and coffee shops are plentiful. The people here all have gorgeous blue eyes. Portland and Austin combined have nothing on Hamburg as to the amount of bike riders. Its cold here. Like really cold. I'm going to be buying a much thicker coat VERY soon, cold. The buildings are beautiful. People walk everywhere that they possibly can. Houses are very cute. Squirrels are very red. One word can mean a half of dozen things. Everything must be taken in context. Toilets are weird. Water is carbonated. Shoes are made at a higher quality. Their states, city states, and regions are strange to me still. And I think I love it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment