Translate

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Diagnosed by Dr. Suess

“Out there things can happen, and frequently do, To people as brainy and footsy as you. And when things start to happen, don't worry, don't stew. Just go right along, you'll start happening too!”
- Oh, The Places You'll Go
Many people are hesitant to travel because they begin to think about all the things that could go wrong. I am not here to tell you GO TRAVEL THE WORLD SOLO. Traveling abroad for an extended time isn't for everyone. (I personally love it. So far it is the most fulfilling thing I have ever done) But I am here to address the concerns of traveling solo.

If I spent all my time concerned about what could go wrong I would never get anything done. I could fall getting out of bed and hit my head, I could lose my shoes and have nothing to wear, I could give myself a paper cut reading the daily paper, I could take the wrong train home and have to take another one back....I could go on and on about all the things that could happen. (I could be kidnapped and sold into a sex traffic circle, that one is a bit extreme but I thought I would throw it in. Sorry Mama.)

I simply like to make the best out of what is happening around me. Short history lesson, I have completed 2 years of college and found the study grid a bit boring. I felt like I was wasting my time (and $$$) taking loads of classes. I have taken interest in almost everything I have ever done, and settling in on one degree just isn't for me. So until I find a "true calling" I am going to keep searching and questioning the world around me. When I travel I love engaging in conversations, debates, and stories with all sorts of people.

*Back to making the best of things* While I have taken the wrong train home already, twice, instead of worrying I went along for the ride. I saw new parts of the city I would not have seen had I not allowed myself to enjoy what was happening. I have made many unintentional turns since I have been here, and each one has turned out to be something great. So lets cut to the chase, traveling solo can be dangerous if you're not prepared.

Traveling Solo List:
*I began my travels solo, but since then have made friends along the way

1. Read, Read, Read. Read about where you are going& what its like. I checked out my governments write up about my travel location and signed up for travel alert emails. Read up on the local sites and political/social history, but most importantly READ your surroundings while you are there. Be aware of everything going on around you and if you don't feel comfortable, leave. You'd also be surprised how willing locals are to help! If you feel uncomfortable while alone go into a public building with people, simple solution.

2. Don't market yourself as a tourist. Tourist's are often targets in my opinion. Maybe it is because tourist always try to look their very best and carry all their fancy new toys. I personally feel more comfortable traveling when I blend in a bit, or just look like a student. I travel with the minimum day to day and try to live like the locals. (Don't get me wrong, I have a lot of things I leave at home! I am by no means a nomad, I just don't use my bag as a way to hoard useless junk around)

3. Always have/know a way home. Where ever your home is, always have enough in savings to afford that plane/bus/train ticket from wherever you may be! =]
4. And finally while you are out and about try to keep a map& watch of some kind with you. First, learn to read maps if you don't know how to already! In my experience it helps to know the time, and be able to look at a map and figure out where you need to go. I have an offline app map on my phone. Whenever I need to see it I slip into a coffee shop or bakery and then check it out ( I do it this way so I am not all eyes-locked on my phone screen and standing there like an idiot. Germany is also cold so I don't like to be out longer than I NEED to be)
5. Stay in contact with someone you trust and always let them know the general places you will be and around what time you will be back. That way if something does happen (like you trip, roll your ankle, and are taken to the ER) and you don't return someone will know something isn't right.

Those are my 5 tips to traveling S..O..L..O... (I hope someone reads that like Jason Derulo) Like Dr. Suess said "today is you day" something, something, something "get on your way!!!" Or don't. I wont try to pressure you into traveling, but I will say it IS pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment