Translate

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Its Winter, Lets Go Swimming.

What do Germans like to do in winter? Go to a water park of course, but I'll get to that later.

I've survived my second week in Germany! & this weekend has so far been great. To begin my weekend the children got out of school early Friday around noon. My host family and I went to a ceramic painting shop where I painted what they called a "traditional bread board" (because Germans have bread 90% of the time, and the remaining 10% is a mix of beer and meat..) We all had a great time painting them and then we went back to a friends of my host families for dinner. Saturday we took a trip through Lubeck and then to an awesome indoor water park RIGHT on the Baltic Sea! For a quick fun fact, In 2005, a Russian group of scientists found over 5,000 airplane wrecks, sunken warships, etc., (mainly from the Second World War) lying in the bottom of the sea. WOWZA.

I love the coast (my preference being a tropical coast) and the Baltic Sea was another coast line that I had to photograph. My host family laughed at me as I ran towards the coast to snap a picture. It was 14 degrees and felt like -4 degrees, you can imagine how crazy they thought I was. Despite the bone chilling wind, the water and view was beautiful. The sand was also surprisingly very soft. I was expecting it to be very rocky, I had this image in my head of a rough, and rugged viking sea shore. I don't know why I thought it would be like that exactly, but I did.

Once we got into the water park I noticed a few things about the people in there..
1. ALL VERY VERY PALE. I mean like pasty white. I guess that's what happens when you only see the sun a handful times a year.
2. The swim suits. haha, wow! The women's suits were pretty normal, or what I consider normal. However, the male's suits (this is where I had to try and not laugh) looked like ladies booty shorts. 
3. PDA, Germans don't care. They also had very creative paintings on the wall depicting very adult activities.
4. It's not German without a bar, or 2, or 3. They seemed to sell liquor and beer everywhere you looked.

Over all I had a great time, but by far my favorite part was the outdoor section. 95% of the water park was indoor but there was a section outside that you could swim to. The pool was heated, don't worry. Anyways, out there I managed to be in pool, in Germany, while looking at the Baltic Sea. It was incredible and there is MORE! The steam coming off the outside pool was being swirled around by the arctic wind and it was freezing on the statues, plants and grass outside of the pool. If I would have been thinking I would have brought my phone with me to take a picture. My handy dandy phone has a water resistant case =] But I wasn't, and for that I am sorry!

Another farewell fun factThe basin containing the Baltic Sea was created by glacial erosion during long-term Ice Age periods.

No comments:

Post a Comment